If you have trouble with opossums and don’t know what to do, look no further! Here at Magic Touch Extermination and Wildlife Control, we provide raccoon removal services to all citizens of New York City and the Long Island area. Call us for an inspection, and we’ll get right to work!
For Faster Service Call:
Why Opossums Need To Be Removed
Sooner or later in your life as a homeowner in America, chances are you’ll come face to face with an opossum. And you may be disgusted, or you may think to yourself how cute. Regardless, the next thing you’ll want to do is send that opossum as far away from your property as possible.
Why? Because opossums can wreak havoc in your backyard, garden, lawn, trash, and so on. These furry little intruders can cause quite a bit of damage to your property if they put their minds to it. So, your best bet would be to call in a professional opossum removal company as quickly as possible.
How We Handle The Issue:
Where can opossums hide?
Much like any other wildlife pest, opossums are looking for food and shelter when they come to your property. So, you’re most likely to find them in areas of the property that offer at least one of these two things. This is why opossums can be found in:
- Attics – with their secluded, sparsely inhabited nature, attics can be an ideal place for shelter;
- Gardens – opossums love to feast on bugs, larvae, worms, and all those other critters disturbing your flower bed and garden. For this reason, opossums are sometimes considered a beneficial house guest, though you may not agree, because of the damage they’re prone to do;
But of course, an opossum can get in pretty much any room of your home, including your garage or shed. So you need to know the signs that tell you there’s an opossum on your property.
Signs of an opossum infestation
Before you can call someone, you first need to make sure you’ve got a problem in the first place. In order to do this, you’ll need to look out for some common tell-tale signs signaling the presence of an opossum on your property.
- Scratching noises – opossums make these loud tearing and scratching noises as they prepare their nest and move about;
- Vanishing pet food – all wildlife pests love pet food because it’s really just a ready meal up for grabs. If pet food and water is constantly disappearing mysteriously, it might be a sign you’ve got an opossum on your hands;
- Bad odor – opossums are fairly chunky creatures and leave behind quite sizable droppings and quantities of urine, which give off a bad smell, and can, in time, damage your furniture and property;
- Strange noises – opossums are known for their vocalizations (think lip-smacking, hissing, shrieking, etc.), so if you keep hearing these odd noises around your property, it could be a sign you’ve got multiple opossums on your property.
This is where a professional opossum removal service comes in…
A lot of people think they’ll save themselves some dollars and attempt to get rid of the opossum themselves. And while this can work well in some cases, it can also end up causing more harm than good.
DIY opossum repellent and removal methods are largely ineffective. As for trapping, we wouldn’t suggest attempting it if you’ve never done it before or are squeamish by nature. Best to leave opossum removal to professional removers, instead.
What does the removal process look like?
Naturally, the actual opossum removal process will vary from company to company, so there’s no one size fits all. But we’ll tell you what the general removal process looks like here at Magic Touch Exterminating and Wildlife Control.
It all begins with an assessment visit from your local opossum removal service. Don’t worry, many removal professionals are also equipped to carry out the removal itself after the assessment is over, so you won’t need a follow-up visit.
Basically, during this assessment, the professional will check your property for signs of an opossum infestation. They will determine the location of the intruder, and also check to see how many opossums you’re dealing with.
Next comes the removal itself. This, again, will vary from company to company. Depending on personal preference, you could opt for traditional trapping and killing. However, this is cruel and unnecessary, especially when live trapping is a perfectly acceptable alternative. This means that the opossum will be secured, and then safely transported to a safe location, where it can’t bother you anymore.
Lastly, we’ve got the repair and future prevention stage. If we notice that the opossum has caused damage to your property, we will clean and repair it, restoring your property to its former glory. Our thorough cleaning service will remove any pathogens and potential dangers (feces, urine) to you and your family.
If you live in New York City or the Long Island area and need extermination or wildlife services, call Magic Touch Extermination and Wildlife Control today!
Schedule Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.
Magic Touch Exterminating and Wildlife Control is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”
Magic Touch Exterminating and Wildlife Control Awards & Affiliations